The Beginning of True Vine Missionary Baptist Church

On a brisk October evening in 1929 a group known as the World's Wonder Club wanted to stay together and worship together so at the suggestion of Deacon William Shears, True Vine Church was begun.

In order to secure a church home, the little group sold barbecue sandwiches for fifteen to twenty five cents and a slab for sixty cents.  They sold daily from morning to night.

In a month's time the group was able to rent the building located at 7328 Central.  Rev. Floyd Parks was called to pastor the group.  Since there were no monies left after expenses, he and his family lived in the two rooms in the back.  Different members brought food to the family each day.

The first service in our first church home was held on the forth Sunday in November.  It was called a Thanksgiving Service.  Early prayer service was at 5:30am, Sunday school was at 9:30am and worship service was at 11:00am.

At the first service in the middle of the Great Depression, $25.00 was raised.

The first person to join the newly formed church was Sister Malinda Abbiecrumble.

In 1938, after much hard work, prayer, and trusting in the Lord, True Vine Baptist Church put a $350.00 down payment on the ne w location located at 7519 Central Avenue.  That mortgage was burned four years later in 1942.

In 1952 we purchased the church property at 854 Linn Drive.  In early 2013 the Lord gave our Pastor Edward McGhee the vision to enlarge our territory thus 711 e. 105th St. Church was purchased in October of that same year.

GOD IS GOOD!